[Gllug] SNMP gurus?

Christian Smith csmith at thewrongchristian.org.uk
Mon Nov 20 13:13:53 UTC 2006

Simon Morris uttered:

> On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 09:55 +0000, John Hearns wrote:
>
>> Same with the SNMP thing - the main course of the evening will be the
>> OpenNMS. I suggest a fixed-price entree of SNMP.
>>

> Sure - lets keep it simple. But I'm not sure you can give an overview of
> SNMP without mentioning OIDs and traps etc.

But you can skip the references to RFCs. There are so many of them anyway,
and if they're anything like RFC 3877(*), a pain in the arse to read and
open to interpretation.

Might I also warn people, this can be a very dull topic! Stick to
practical applications with a minimum of theory. Just a basic intro,
followed by some examples of monitoring should be doable.

> Thanks
>
> ~sm

* Currently in the process of implementing:(

--
     /"\
     / \