[Gllug] Some good news - copyright on sound recordings not to be extended

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Nov 27 21:38:05 UTC 2006

On 27 Nov 2006, Richard Jones spake thusly:

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6186436.stm
>
> Best quote:
>
> "You can make a record in 1955 and have been getting royalties... been
> living on that and suddenly they're gone."
>
> I wish all my employers still paid me for stuff I did for them
> years ago ...

Exactly my impression. Lots of news services are acting as if this is a
huge problem and oh-so-terrible, but, um, if you want to be paid after
expiry, try *doing some work in the half-century-plus since
1955*. Sheesh.

(There is a notable lack of comments from the huge mass of smaller and
independent musicians... obviously they don't count as much as Cliff
Richard or something.)

Now all we have to do is get other copyright terms reduced similarly.

--
`The main high-level difference between Emacs and (say) UNIX, Windows,
 or BeOS... is that Emacs boots quicker.' --- PdS