[Gllug] C/C++ mentor

TreeBoy gllug at petethetree.co.uk
Tue Nov 21 20:51:01 UTC 2006

I'm afraid that this debate reinforces (for me) that you really shouldn't
bother with GNOME development when no-one can agree which tool to use to
define your GUI.

Bear with me, please: I am not meaning to be inflammatory, I am merely
describing an opinion that I wish others would help deconstruct or affirm.

I started C development on HP-UX in an academic/research environment and so
had no choice in the development tools that I had to use: You use the same as
everyone else so that knowledge could easily be shared and you could "stand
on shoulders".

The next time I did C was for the Psion and then C/C++ for Windows 3. On the
Psion: you use the only library available.

With Windows (when I was doing it) you used either Borland or MS: MS won
despite the fact that when I was recruiting for Windows developers the first
interview question was how would you rewrite the CString class because it was
abhorrent. The leaks alone accounted for three quarters of most software
failures and it was obvious that MS were not using it internally (and there
were obviously no mentions of Borland in any of the Windows distributables at
all).

Then I moved onto Linux and met the various tools and was more than slightly
discombobulated.

With KDE and QT there is only really one toolset and everyone deals with that
same one.

GNOME may well be technically superior, but I find the development lists
confusing because everyone is using their own suite of tools. Although
ultimately flexible, it leaves the uninitiated out in the dark: you *HAVE* to
have opinion.

Here I am hanging myself out to dry and I hope that some developers for GNOME
will get involved in a conversation that may be of interest to the First
Poster and re-educate my opinion.

Cheers,