[Gllug] IP address changes

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Nov 28 10:16:51 UTC 2006

Not directly in response, but this Schneier article is interesting:

http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram-0303.html#3

<quote>
In a Reuters article on the topic, I was quoted as saying that "Nobody
bothers eavesdropping on the communications while it is in transit."
This isn't a misquote (grammar mistake and all). Even if SSL were
irrevocably broken, it wouldn't affect Internet security very
much. There are two reasons. One, SSL is almost never used in a secure
manner. And two, SSL doesn't solve an important security problem.
[...]

Mostly, I see it used to protect credit card transactions; people are
concerned about hackers stealing their credit card numbers as they
move through the network. By now it should be obvious that hackers
don't steal credit card numbers one by one across the network; they
steal them in bulk -- by the thousands or even millions -- by breaking
into poorly protected networks.
</quote>

Rich.

--