An advanced Linux Mag - was Re: [Gllug] Algorithm question for your Friday morning

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Sun Nov 19 12:58:04 UTC 2006

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006, Mike Brodbelt wrote:

> Why don't you try ditching the idea of printing it - make issues
> available as PDF once a month, free download for registered users. Your
> registered user list and number of downloads gives you some idea about
> circulation - you can then take that to advertisers. With zero
> print/distribution costs it should be a lot easier to make ad revenue
> cover costs of commissioning articles, editing, hosting and bandwidth.
>
> There's another web magazine I read regularly that uses this model, and
> it seems to work well for them.

That model is essentially zero income. This means no money to pay
contributors and hosting costs. No money to pay for good designers to put
it together, etc.

The only other mag I know of that does something similar is the Free
Software Mag and I understand they basically make no money.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98