[Gllug] Today

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 11:16:14 UTC 2006

On 11/1/06, Adrian McMenamin <adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info> wrote:

> This morning my ISP (homechoice) advised me that "browsing" was proving
> difficult for users of "most" UK ISPs and indeed it looked as though DNS
> was badly partitioned - I could reach the BBC but not my own server
> sitting in my living room if I used its external dyndns.info address.
>
> It's fixed now, allegedly. Anyone know what was up?

No, but we were experiencing noticable packet loss, and our routes to
the outside world have been switching all over the place this morning.
Seems to have quietened down now. At a guess, some moderately large
chunk of network infrastructure failed, and BGP did its thing to
compensate. Half of our traffic seems to go via New York now,
presumably because a more direct route isn't available at the moment.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk