[Gllug] Open Access publishing

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 4 10:18:45 UTC 2006

On Sat 04 Nov, John Hearns wrote:
> Might be interesting to a lot of people on this list.
> > I recall about ten years ago (gulp!) working at Guys Hospital. As a
> computer/network type I was invited to some meeting re. network and
> Internet access. I spoke up and said that one day all medical journal
> articles would be available on the Internet for their medical students.
> Distinguished Professor type laughs at me and browbeats me, saying that
> the academic journals would never allow it.
> <FX - me having last laugh >

   One problem with any author-funded system is ensuring validity and
verification, especially on the internet where there is no apparent limit on
what can be presented. The average reader may not know whether a source that
appears authoritative is genuine; there are many dubious "colleges"
operating around the world. The reader-paid system was always promoted for
its inherent peer review, and the journals worked for their reputations.

--
Chris Bell