[Gllug] Re: Timeouts in perl

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 14:43:35 UTC 2006

On 11/6/06, Aaron Trevena <aaron.trevena at gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you emailed petdance (the author) about this - I can't see any
> reference to it in rt.cpan.org so you haven't registered it as a bug.

Errr... no. Mailing a list of clued up people that happen to know far
more about perl than me seemed a better place to start. Is it even a
bug? Could it not be that I'm just doing something wrong instead?

> Obviously this is assuming you have any interest in solving the
> problem rather than just bitching about a language you barely know.

I have made no attempt to disguise my distaste for perl on this list
(or elsewhere). However, I am a firm believer in using the right tool
for the job, and in this instance, perl is probably that tool, so I
set aside my prejudices and got on with writing the code. Yes, it's
true that I barely know the language. That's probably part of the
reason why I ran into problems, and why I'm asking for help...

True, there are almost certainly better places to ask (a perl specific
list, for example). But it seemed fair to try asking here first -- a
list that I know is read by those with far more knowledge of perl than
me, and it's an easy option. If (as it seems), no one is able to help,
then I'll start looking elsewhere. But I believed (and still believe)
that the GLLUG list is a good place to start.

Yes, I have an interest in solving the problem, otherwise I wouldn't
have said anything in the first place. As a vocal advocate of perl on
this list, perhaps you could point me in the right direction, rather
than just bitching about my language preferences.

Tet :-)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk