[Gllug] Free SSL certs?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Nov 8 00:30:51 UTC 2006

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 05:48:35PM +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Richard Jones wrote:
>>> Thanks for all the replies.  I'm beginning to remember now why I
>>> dislike SSL (well, https) so much.
>>>
>>> Rich.
>>>
>> Might this work for you :  http://cert.startcom.org/
>>
>> Although the whole idea of how they got their root into Mozilla and IE'
>> are semi doubt, and they dont come with the sort of warranties that
>> versign etc might pass along.....
>
> What is the story?  All I can find are various press releases about
> the StartCom root certificate being included in FF 2.0.

Their 'verification' and 'ceritification' was carried out over the phone
by the mozilla guys. And then the startcom guys were unable to actually
work out what was required from them to get the root included ( after
they had been verified.... I wonder exactly which part of the root was
verified to start with ? )! But I suppose they got there in the end.

In the IE case, apparently a third party made a payment to
speed-up-the-process.

> Anyway, I've decided it's easier just to mandate use of an ssh tunnel
> to get to the server.  That nicely solves the authentication problem
> also (this is a in-company VPN-type service).

I hope you are using AMD kit on the server end :)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk