[Gllug] Algorithm question for your Friday morning

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Fri Nov 17 10:23:20 UTC 2006

Inspired by an article in the latest edition of Linux Journal (NB you
really should subscribe - exchange rate makes it about 50% cheaper than
buying in on the news stand) on top (1)

I have some code that currently takes an arithmetic mean of people's
preferences/votes. But it occurs to me that it would be better to replace
that with some sort of algorithm that weights historical votes less than
more recent votes.

(I believe top(1) uses an exponential decay function)

Is there a simple way to do this when the only record I currently have of
historic votes is the arithmetic mean?