[Gllug] Getting technical about email

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Nov 9 19:50:11 UTC 2006

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 19:34:45 +0000 Mike Brodbelt
<mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 16:42 +0000, John G Walker wrote:
> >> What I need is to understand how an email server would work. I've
> >> really got to know this before I can design the optimal setup.
> >
> > IMAP is your friend.  Have all you mail delivered to your IMAP
> > server (Cyrus, for example), and users pick up their mail from one
> > place.
>
> Indeed - IMAP simplifies things a great deal.
>
> You basically need to choose an MTA to do all the SMTP stuff for you,
> and then pick a storage format. Simplest case would be local delivery
> to plain old MBOX, then read your mail with mutt or something. A
> better option would be to have your store served up with POP or IMAP
> - IMAP being the preferred option.

MTA? This is why I think I need to read "Email servers for dummies" or
something.

>[snip} you'll have to plan in order to make
> sure all the pieces fit together happily.

This is why I think I need to know what I'm doing before I do it.
Otherwise I can see myself getting cut off from the world - and the
existing situation is way better than that!

> Mike

But thanks for the advice. I'm sure it'll be invaluable once I
understand it (not being ironic here, just in case you read it wrong),

--
 All the best,
 John