[Gllug] RS-232 temperature reader and feeder into a web page

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Fri Nov 10 09:34:55 UTC 2006

MJ wrote:
> Hi
>
> I understand there was a project done that uses one of these circuits
> http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&DOY=9m11&ModuleNo=2886&criteria=
> or similar?
> In order to monitor system (inside server or a PC) and hosting environment
> temperature. This is soldered to an USB or maybe RS-232 is ok via a wire.
> Perl script reads measurements from RS-232 into a webpage. Help as I have
> no been able to find the best search parameters to Google.

I've done environmental temperature measurement for racks, using
thermocouples and a box which connects the thermocouples and translates
to an RS-232 port.

However, please don't considering this solution today. Please.

A) specify IPMI monitoring cards in your servers
     these are variously called Service Processors (Sun)
       ILO cards (HP)

Our CMA (Cluster monitoring appliance) will monitor IPMI cards and take
actions based on parameters going above specified levels.
(Actions = run scripts, email, shutdown etc)

B) for environmentals in your machine room, get a Netbotz or a Jacarta.
   http://www.jacarta.co.uk/
   http://www.netbotz.com/
http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=345
    Netbotz also resold by APC.

Why string something together by yourself when you can buy a reliable
solution off the shelf?

You're going to rattle on about how you can do the job for pennies with
your solution , yadda yadda.
You've posted to a group for advice, so listen to someone who HAS done
both your RS-232 route and the IPMI route.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk