[Gllug] Plone - problem with IP?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Nov 7 13:28:28 UTC 2006

> greetings, all
>
> Not wholly OT, though undoubtedly more revealing of my dilettantism
> (I'm not a techie, just an irrepressible enthusiast) than of any real
> problem with Plone, Zope, server, or IP ...
>
> I installed Plone on my home server in my loft, running it faultlessly
> from http://127.0.0.1:8200 and on my DHCP (home router-assigned)
> address at http://192.168.0.3:8200
>
> However, when trying to access it from outside via my IP address
> (http://82.44.77.62:8200 or http://hutchison.homelinux.net:8200) it
> times out.  Ports 8200, 8221, 8280, 8282 are all open, so it's not a
> firewall issue.

What sort of connection do you have to the outside world?  If you have
something like an ADSL router then you will need to explicitly tell it to
forward incoming packets addressed to port 8200 to 192.168.0.3

Give more details of your connection and someone might be able to give you
specific instructions on how to do it.

Do you have any existing services running on that box which are accessible
from the outside world?

HTH
John