[Gllug] Is there any demand for rsync based offsite backup?

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Thu Nov 2 09:19:57 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, M.Blackmore wrote:

> But how could one actually make a Miasma backup system actually work, a
> la freenetty sort of way? I suspect for most people the nightly backup
> will be small - few megabytes - but the overall data would end up being
> stonking, hundreds of gbs, probably teras. How would a system keep track
> of this all, scattered over tens of thousands of storage sites,
> humongously redundant so that, say, Denmark disappears under the North
> Sea in a cataclysm along with its 10 million Miasma netted computers and
> no one notices any data loss 'cos there isn't any.

If you see that great a loss of data I suspect no distributed scheme is
going to be completely unaffected.

The thing about FreeNet is that a lot of the questions you raise have
already been mostly solved.

The big downside to FreeNet in particular is that it is already contains
the kind of data that will get you arrested and prosecuted for kiddie pron
if you run it and get caught with it on your PC.

I've been looking into properly distributed data with decent indexing for
a while now and it's not fast - in fact everything I've seen trying to do
this so far has been slower than I think most users would consider
reasonable. That's one of the reasons my distributed contact system idea
never went anywhere.

> 'scuse me, any one hear a phone ringing??
>
> (hands up those old enough to get that reference, eh?)

/me raises hand.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98