[Gllug] Tweaking Hardware autodetection

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Sun Nov 26 12:48:53 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 18:29 +0000, Justin Perreault wrote:
> Is it possible to tweak the Hardware Auto-detection routines to activate
> non-default options on the hardware found?
>
> What I am trying to do is get my DVD drives to still be autodetected but
> with the unhide flag active. The reason is because wine has a problem
> where it sometimes cannot see information on a disc if it is not mounted
> with the unhide option.
>
> I have spent several hours searching the net and various forums for
> hints at what autodetection routine is used in FC6 but so far to no
> avail.
I have now scanned for all files that have '/etc/mtab' located in them
and I am working through them one by one to try and see where mtab is
being given its information from.

I am hoping that one of these files is either a config file or a file
that uses a config file, which with luck will be able to modified.

> I could go the easy route of putting an entry into fstab but that would
> be no fun. :)

I like a challenge however, it is always helpful to know if I am
actually heading in the right direction. Do I seem to be using good
logic to track this down? Have I gone on a wild goose chase as my answer
is likely to be found in the kernel source?

Justin Perreault
--
If you are an adult, you can choose to act like a child. If you do not
accept being an adult, you are only a child. -JJJ