[Gllug] Postal scam warning

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 11:51:43 UTC 2006

On 11/8/06, Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> wrote:

> 1. Any warning is helpful.
> 2. I just forwarded on a warning I had (Don't shoot the messanger)

Actually, I disagree. I've seen countless numbers of these "helpful"
warning floating around, whether it be for a postal scam or a virus
warning or something else. Not a single one has turned out to be
genuine. If well meaning people didn't forward them around, then
they'd quickly die out before they had a chance to spread like this
(I've now received this particular one 3 times in the last couple of
weeks).

In this instance, it was quite easy to spot that it was a hoax. It
claims to have been confirmed by some relevant authority (in this
case, both the Royal Mail and the Trading Standards Office), yet
doesn't provide any way of confirming that fact -- a sure sign that
it's not genuine.

Please don't distribute these sorts of warnings around, particularly
on a list like this where they're utterly off-topic.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk