An advanced Linux Mag - was Re: [Gllug] Algorithm question for your Friday morning

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 19 00:19:13 UTC 2006

Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Nov 2006, salsaman wrote:
>
> If you can be certain that you can get a sufficient readership then you
> can always get the advertising. The difficult bit is the former.

Why don't you try ditching the idea of printing it - make issues
available as PDF once a month, free download for registered users. Your
registered user list and number of downloads gives you some idea about
circulation - you can then take that to advertisers. With zero
print/distribution costs it should be a lot easier to make ad revenue
cover costs of commissioning articles, editing, hosting and bandwidth.

There's another web magazine I read regularly that uses this model, and
it seems to work well for them.

Mike