[Gllug] following up to Tushar's backup talk

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Nov 14 01:28:37 UTC 2006

On 12 Nov 2006, Philip Hands uttered the following:
> That reminds me of one of the features of BackupPC that's not immediately
> obvious -- because it has it's own way of tracking hard links that existed
> in the source, it can cheerfully hard link things that happened to be the
> same without losing the fact that they were really separate files in the
> original, so you don't end up with a restored system with all the empty
> files hard-linked together (which could be somewhat embarrassing ;-)

Indeed (although sometimes that behaviour is useful: witness the awfully
iffy but BALGE freedups(1) tool).

It would be especially unfortunate if you had more than 32767 zero-byte
files on the disk (or, more likely, more than 32767 identical copies of,
say, .svn/format... :)

--
Rich industrial heritage: lifeless wasteland. `The land
north of Mordor has a rich industrial heritage.'