[Gllug] C/C++ mentor

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Wed Nov 22 16:54:39 UTC 2006

On 22/11/06, salsaman <salsaman at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Well, to set the record straight:
>
> gtk+ has no relation to gnome.
>
> GTK stands for Gimp Toolkit - as it was originally developed for GIMP.
>
> The Gnome window manager uses gtk+ with some gnome-specific extensions.
> GTK+ apps run equally well under any window manager.

All GNOME applications use GTK+ (but indeed as you say, the inverse is
not true).

However, most of the stuff that has been added to libgtk since around
1.2 has been directly imported from libgnomeui.  As time goes on,
there is less and less need to use libgnome* unless you specifically
need something from there as the important common stuff is slowly
being included in libgtk (and libglib).

But I'm not sure how you can possibly deny a link between gtk+ and gnome.

Another thing, Gnome is not just a window manager, it is a desktop
environment.  Gnome can be used with a number of different window
managers, Metacity being the default.  Gnome the environment contains:

a replacement display manager (gdm)
the WM (metacity)
the panel and menu stuff
a communication framework (ORBit/Bonobo)
managment/configuration tools for sound, printing, networking, etc
user libraries for sound, printing, networking, its vfs layer, the GUI
toolkit (libgnomeui, which uses libgtk)
Nautilus

Pete
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk