[Gllug] Getting technical about email

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Nov 11 01:58:09 UTC 2006

On 10 Nov 2006, Mike Brodbelt verbalised:
> Richard Jones wrote:
>> One annoyance of Debian (there aren't that many) is their insistance
>> on stripping executables and libraries before installation.  It's even
>> policy[1].  Why?  To save valuable disk space on my 160 GB disk for
>> more unread files in /usr/share/doc?
>
> It can be irritating, but it saves space on disk and in memory, so is

Debug symbols are stored in sections which are not mapped to segments,
so they are never loaded (except by the debugger, which digs around
inside the binary directly, using libbfd).

So they never use any memory at all.

--
Rich industrial heritage: lifeless wasteland. `The land
north of Mordor has a rich industrial heritage.'