[Gllug] Mailing package

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Nov 2 16:46:15 UTC 2006

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 16:31:09 +0000 Rich Walker <rw at shadow.org.uk> wrote:

> John G Walker <johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Can anyone recommend a mailing program running under Linux?
> >
> > I need, at the very least, to be able to hold names and addresses by
> > category, print labels by category, etc.
> >
> > I'm currently running a mailing program I wrote myself, in Visual
> > Basic, on a Windows 98 machine, and I think it's time I did a bit
> > more migration,
>
> Openoffice with a spreadsheet used as a database.
> Make a query on the database.
> Use the output of the query for a mail merge operation.
>
> cheers, Rich.

Thanks for the prompt reply, but it's easier to keep using  Windows
than do that! Probably a good method for a one-off solution, but I need
something that can be run over and over, with minimal effort.

Also required, I think, is the ability to import an access-style
database and, since there's the possibility that I'm going to have to
hand database over to someone else, the ability to export to a .csv
file or similar.

What I didn't say is that I have more than one of these databases. I
run mailings for a couple of voluntary organisations that I belong to -
who are now the sole users of my old Windows 98 machine - and I ought
to bring them up to date with the twenty-first century,

--
 All the best,
 John