[Gllug] Core 2 duo / Intel 965 chipset

Jim donteventry at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 19:59:33 UTC 2006

Hi

Help please for someone with very limited experience and can only be
classed as a novice user.

Someone else I know has just got a new HP Dc7700 and can't get linux to
install

(If you want the full details)
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12543_div/12543_div.HTML

Main bits of Kit are
Intel® Q965 Express chipset,
Intel Core™ 2 Duo Processors,
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 integrated graphics
2-GB DDR2 Synch Dram PC2-5300 (667-MHz) Non ECC (2 x 1GB)
250-GB SATA 3.0-Gb/s Hard Drive (8MB Cache, 7200 rpm)
SATA CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive
Intel 82566DM Gigabit Network Connection (integrated on system board)
Realtek 4-channel ALC262 Audio (integrated on system board)
HP FireWire / IEEE 1394 PCI Card

Tried RHE WS 4
Fedora core 6
A flavour Scientific Linux (Based on RH)

FC 6 got as far as trying to install but then fell over but the RH
flavours got nowhere. However they are elderly 2.6.8 or 10 kernels I
think but I could not say for certain.

Has anyone had problems with the E6000 series core2duo CPUs / 965 chipset?

Could it be the SATA DVD device?

I am not really a techie so any links would be useful or pointers to
which out of the box versions work or even new kernels etc that can be
downloaded.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated for me to pass on.

TIA

Jim