[Gllug] Getting technical about email

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Nov 13 23:54:10 UTC 2006

On 11 Nov 2006, Philip Hands told this:
> As for the "it's not that significant an amount of space, so let's leave
> them in" I'll again cite evolution as an example -- it's -dbg package is
> over 6MB packaged, 14.9MB installed -- that's as against the stripped
> package's 2.4MB & 7.6MB respectively.
>
> Now, it's possible that the -dbg packages contain some duplication of data,

A *lot*. Even with -feliminate-dwarf2-dups
-feliminate-unused-debug-types -feliminate-unused-debug-symbols the
DWARF2 output from GCC is hardly efficient, and without it it is
enormous, especially for C++ (the symbols for all templates instantiated
in every translation unit are duplicated for each such translation
unit). And those options have lethal bugs in all released versions of
GCC (try turning them on and watch the link failures as duplicate
symbols get left around).

> but I seriously doubt that an un-stripped package would be smaller that the
> -dbg package, and it's probably closer to the addition of the two sizes.

Exactly the same modulo compression differences, I'd have thought. The -dbg
packages *are* created by objcopying the debug sections out of the executables
and then `strip --strip-debug'ging the executables :)

--
Rich industrial heritage: lifeless wasteland. `The land
north of Mordor has a rich industrial heritage.'