[Gllug] Some good news - copyright on sound recordings not to be extended

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Thu Nov 30 08:23:23 UTC 2006

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Adam Kelly wrote:

> > Personally I think copyright should be valid until the death/dissolution
> > of the holder.
>
> Aside from the problem with companies potentially lasting forever, I'm
> not sure I like the idea that an artist who dies shortly after
> producing something would lose all rights.  I'd go for a fixed term
> for date of publication.  Something like 20-50 years depending on the
> medium.

There is an easy answer to that - copyright for the life of the original
author or life+10-20 years, whichever shall be the longer period.

That way the author has full benefit and if the author dies soon after
creating the work his/her estate has a reasonable period in which to
benefit.

The present system effectively gives 2-3 lifetimes of benefit which is
silly - let the 2nd and subsequent generations earn their own living.

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98