[Gllug] Was: VACANCY: System Administrator, Old Street, London, Min Salary ?30k

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Sun Nov 19 11:21:03 UTC 2006

Dean Wilson wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 05:19:03PM +0000, David Damerell wrote:
>> If the best reason you can come up with to be civil is the threat of
>> violence - like Jonathan - you're not doing too well. Personally, I
>> prefer rude people to violent ones.
>
> It's not about the threat of violence; you have to really push to
> get most people to give you a smack. Most people just don't care enough
> about other peoples opinions to rise to it. Unless partners, children,
> religion or alcohol is involved. ;)

I never once mentioned violence. I'm not sure how that managed to come
in to it.

> I've always found that people are just more polite when they're face to
> face, it's easy to build rapport with someone when you're dealing with
> them in person while it's too easy to be dispassionate and harsh when
> dealing with abstracted text. Which is why we've only ever had one argument
> at an actual GLLUG meeting where as we have a number of... disagreements on
> the list every couple of months.

Exactly. If someone came up to you at a Gllug meeting and picked holes
in the pronunciation of your sentences, you would justifiably be
offended if English was not your first language and you may even be
justified in thinking that the person was a bit of a prick. But,
strangely, that doesn't seem to happen, only on-list where it is deemed
acceptable.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk