[Gllug] Multiple ADSL splitters

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Tue Nov 14 12:10:17 UTC 2006

I am rewiring the telephones in my house and need advice from real
people rather than websites.

At a previous place of employment we have used this:

      ___                   ___
\    |   |                 |   |
 \   | F |-ADSL-(nothing)  | F |-ADSL--Modem--LAN
BT|--| L |                 | L |
 /   | T |-POTS------------| T |-POTS--Telephone extensions
/    |_R_|                 |_R_|

The above setup worked fine (except that BT came from a crappy reseller
who kept crossing lines in their equipment).

There were two filters because between them was the building's (crappy -
Ashley knows what I mean) wiring and I never got around to removing the
first one.

The question I have is that I want to do something similar in my home
but websites all seem to recommend against having DSL on anything other
than the ADSL side of the first filter.

      ___                   ___
\    |   |                 |   |
 \   | F |-ADSL-(nothing)  | F |-ADSL--Modem--LAN
BT|--| L |                 | L |
 /   | T |-POTS----+-------| T |-POTS--Telephone extensions

                   +-----More telephone extensions

So will this work and if not, why not?

I would rather know for sure one way or the other before we start
digging into walls.

Cheers,

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child," for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely