[Gllug] Problems with cpan install

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 09:16:24 UTC 2006

On 07/11/06, Martin A. Brooks <martin at hinterlands.org> wrote:
> Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> > just seems to take me to a shell where the same problems are seen.
> > It looks to me like the perl GD is broken for my distro - a 64 bit
> > Debian sarge
> >

> Yep, that'll be the problem.
>
> An awful lot of perl modules are pre-packaged, don't use CPAN.

An awful lot of pre-packaged perl modules are out of date, have stupid
or just plain wrong dependancies, and unpredictably named.

> Those that aren't packaged are easy to debianise, "apt-get install
> dh-make-perl", and _still_ don't use CPAN.

Yeah - right. dh-make-perl is ok if you have zero dependancies, if it
was really useful it would use cpan to fetch and package dependancies.

I find it a lot easier to just use my own perl and cpan than rely on
debian packagers, at least if I want to use any modules from this
century.

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk