[Gllug] Restoring and installing machines

paul at ma1.se paul at ma1.se
Sat Nov 11 11:43:28 UTC 2006

John Hearns wrote:
> Tushars talk also made me think of:
>
> Mondo Rescue
> http://www.mondorescue.org/
>
> When setting up a new server, all you need do is put in a CD (or two) or
> a writeable DVD. The state of the system is snapshotted to a bootable
> rescue disk. If the system is stolen, hacked or otherwise not working
> etc. all you do is boot from this DVD and the system re-installs itself.
> In the jargon, "bare metal recovery" and for free.
> http://www.mondorescue.org/about.shtml

For those wanting to re-image to Centos4 (especially useful on remotely
hosted dedicated servers at 1&1 etc).

With work should do for re-imaging to any anaconda/kickstart based Linux
ditribution, FC, RHEL etc..).

I have tried them and they work, but you do need to double check your
boot loader network configuration before rebooting into the scripts.
Both lilo and grub are supported.

http://forum.swsoft.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33036

kickstart is amazing when you explore the possibilities.

regards

Paul Lee
www.ma1.se

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk