[Gllug] GLLUG Meeting today

Simon Morris sm at fsfe.org
Sat Nov 11 21:15:45 UTC 2006

Hello,

Today we had a GLLUG meeting in Westminster University. I don't normally
go for long thank you emails with lots of names but so many people gave
time and effort today I think it is warranted.

Thanks to:

Sean Tohill (for allowing us to fill his computer lab with more people
that the fire regulations probably allow, and then reinstalling the lab
afterwards)

Roger Whittaker (for his Xen virtualisation talk)

Tushar Joshi (for his backup and disaster recovery talk)

Caroline Ford, Pete Ryland and Khusro Jaleel (for preparing
demonstrations at the Intro to Linux event)

Muhammad Khalid Adnan (for distributing leaflets outside of the venue)

Tim Simmonds (for running the raffle)

Frank Scott, Chris Bell, Gundemarie Scholz, Karanbir Singh and others
(for helping with the installfests)

If you aren't listed and you helped my apologies but thanks all the
same. This event was far too much work for one person to organise.

What happened this afternoon? Well, I would have been happy with small
groups of 5-6 people coming into the Introduction to Linux event and
having a fairly organised look around at the demonstrations with a few
GLLUG members having an installfest on the other side of the room.

Instead between 1330 and 1520 I estimate we had no less than 100
different people come through the room and the place was jammed full of
people for the duration. If anything there were too many people and we
could have filled 2 labs with a comfortable number and had room to move
around.

I sensed frustration from a few people that they were there with no-one
to help them with problems or advice but we'll be able to scale the
meeting correctly next time (hopefully).

About 70 people attended the Xen talk by Roger and a slightly lesser
number for Tushars. The raffle raised £34 which has been donated to Help
a London Child. The books were donated by Apress.com

There will be some photos on http://gllug.org.uk soon and you may be
able to read GLLUG members blog posts about today at
http://planet.gllug.org.uk

Thanks

~sm