[Gllug] DVD audio

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sat Oct 14 15:37:58 UTC 2006

Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> I am trying to burn a DVD - essentially using the mechanisms descibed
> here:  http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/04/17/2058219
>
> But I am having trouble as the audio seems to lag the video by about a
> second (it doesn't on the original file, this is some artifact of
> transcoding). Now, I can play back on the PC just using the -delay
> option on mplayer, but cannot seem to get that into the DVD.
>
> Presumably I have to take separate audio and video tracks and fuse them
> together to get that to happen, or is there an easier way?

It's been a while since I attempted this.  The details are hazy in my
mind and the machine on which I was doing it is currently inaccessible,
but...

Assuming the instructions which you're using are something like what
used to be in the MythTV documentation the process goes something like:

     Split out video component from original file
     Split out audio component from original file
     Re-combine to form DVD contents

If you check the options for the re-combining tool you'll find there's
one to specify the time offset for the audio track.  It can be done with
three different units.  If you then check the options of the splitting
tool you'll find there's one to tell you what the offset was in the
original file.  Just query the original option and then feed it as a
parameter to the re-combining process.

Sorry my recollection is so hazy.  I remember doing it but I can't
remember the names of any of the tools.

HTH
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk