[Gllug] Web design

Rob Crowther robertc at boogdesign.com
Thu Oct 12 13:51:36 UTC 2006

John Southern wrote:
> Avoid Dreamweaver - the code is almost unreadable at times.

Do you have any examples of this unreadable code produced by
Dreamweaver?  I assume we're talking HTML and not the weird embedded PHP
stuff it can generate?

Dreamweaver, in WYSIWYG, will make sure all your tags are correctly
closed and nested, which is more than a non-technical user is likely to
manage with a text editor.  In 'code' mode it will auto indent,
highlight any markup which is invalid or incompatible with certain
browsers/standards and it will auto-complete both HTML and CSS, which is
dead handy when you can't remember whether it's ondblclick or
ondoubleclick, or what the options are for the display: rule.  If I had
Dreamweaver available on a machine I'm not sure why I wouldn't use it
over a simple text editor for any serious web design work?  Of course, I
don't have pay for it myself in this scenario...

Rob
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk