[Gllug] Ubuntu....

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Mon Oct 2 21:20:03 UTC 2006

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> you'll never see a password again :-)  You can configure PAM to hand out
> a krb ticket when logging into X, and GNOME has a daemon that'll prompt
> the user to renew the ticket when it periodically expires.

One (small) wrinkle there. If you're working on a big computer facility
which uses Kerberos and maybe the AFS filesystem (which depends on
Kerberos) if you submit a job which sits in the queue for a week or so
the ticket will timeout. There needs to be a mechanism to auto-renew the
ticket so the job continues to run. A bit late at night for me to bother
to Google for the fixes, but just saying that there are such fixes
around for batch systems.

--
      John Hearns
      Senior HPC Engineer