[Gllug] data protection & spamming

James Roberts jr at stabilys.com
Thu Oct 5 10:34:10 UTC 2006

Benedikt Heinen wrote:

> What laws are there in the UK, dealing with spamming?

Effectively none as you will find here (check the reporting process!):

http://www.ico.gov.uk/

The law does not work:

Spammers contributed to the discussion under false pretences:
http://www.silicon.com/research/specialreports/thespamreport/0,39025001,39130907,00.htm

The law is no use for prosecution:
http://www.out-law.com/page-7286

> More specifically, what can I do against 2 companies who either handed
> out my address to spammers; or did not protect my data well enough to
> prevent it from getting into a spammer's hands?    (Two relatively
> well-known companies - one dealing with financial information; one a
> broker).

Really very little I'm afraid. UK Spam to business addresses is lawful,
  and the spammers are able to decide what is a business address.

I initiated a complaint with the ICO when the legislation went through
and it rapidly entered the realms of the absurd (it is *required* that
you use the spammers opt-out - thus confirming your address to them -
and that this not work, before a complaint can be furthered).

> Apart from, obviously, stopping to deal with those companies - is there
> anything else I can / should do?

Something creative? There is talk of changing the law...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk