[Gllug] Re: Anti-DRM event in Central London tomorrow!

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Mon Oct 2 11:05:55 UTC 2006

On Saturday, 30 Sep 2006, Leo Hickey wrote:
>Is it? Well I just watched it and from that speech alone I don't see why
>DRM is such a bad thing. He gives a handful of examples. One of which is
>some guy who made a film for $200 and then was given a bill for $400 000
>for the licensing of the music he used in the film. Why shouldn't this
>guy have to pay for the music he used?

Why _should_ he?

Copyright's not some sort of fundamental right; it's a pure creation
of society, intended to provide a greater benefit to us by providing
an incentive for the creation of works than it provides a penalty by
weakening the public domain.

So where's the benefit to us in rendering that sort of project
impossible, exactly?

--
OPTIONS=name:Kirsty,menustyle:C,female,lit_corridor,standout,time,showexp,hilit
e_pet,catname:Akane,dogname:Ryoga,fruit:okonomiyaki,pickup_types:"!$?=/,scores:
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk