[Gllug] Iptables Logging

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 4 20:26:47 UTC 2006

Mick Farmer wrote:
> Dear GLLUGers,
>
> I'm running RHEL4 with iptables and want to stop the DROPed
> packets from appearing on the console.  I've googled and
> tried one of the suggestions, but this didn't work.
>
> Can anyone help?

from linux/Documentation/sysctl/kernel.txt

printk:

The four values in printk denote: console_loglevel,
default_message_loglevel, minimum_console_loglevel and
default_console_loglevel respectively.

These values influence printk() behavior when printing or
logging error messages. See 'man 2 syslog' for more info on
the different loglevels.

- console_loglevel: messages with a higher priority than
  this will be printed to the console
- default_message_level: messages without an explicit priority
  will be printed with this priority
- minimum_console_loglevel: minimum (highest) value to which
  console_loglevel can be set
- default_console_loglevel: default value for console_loglevel

So you can just tweak the values in /proc/sys/kernel/printk on a running
system to ignore them. You can use the loglevel= parameter on the kernel
command line to set this at boot.

Or do what Tet suggested, and log them to userspace.

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk