[Gllug] Does anyone remember W98?

Henry Gilbert henry.gilbert at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 04:40:42 UTC 2006

On 27/08/06, John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> wrote:
> I'm in the happy position of having been dumped with a PC owned by a
> friend in the hope that I will be able to fix it.  It seems to be the
> usual problem of bit-rot - the hardware is fine but W98 is unhappy.

I use Windows 98 regularly. It is very fast and stable under Win4Lin
9x. Faster than Vmware, faster than Wine. Sometimes I wonder if an old
machine can be salvaged this way: a light distro and Win4Lin 9x on
full screen. It can work well with just 48 Mb Ram or less.

http://www.win4lin.com/content/view/61/98/

Installing Win4Lin 9x is pretty hard. Installing it on a non-RPM
system much harder. But once you get it working it's pure bliss.

HG
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk