[Gllug] Backup / failover for ADSL/ SDSL

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Tue Oct 17 10:07:49 UTC 2006

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> We're looking for a backup solution at work for failover from SDSL
> connections - and since ADSL will come from the same exchange, were sort
> of hesitant to rely on that route as a backup.

When you are considering this kind of thing you need to decide based upon
where the most likely failure points are.

Generally with xDSL the failure points come down to :

1. Some bugger digs up a street and cut the cables
2. The ISP suffers a network failure
3. BT mess up something at the exchange.

Given that all your BT lines will come via the same route (and probably
the same cables) you have limited protection from failure 1 but other
cable based solutions may not provide a lot of protection from that
depending upon where Piotr the builder cuts the cable.

A backup service from any other supplier would provide protection from
failure 2.

If BT mess up the exchange then any xDSL service will suffer. This is very
rare.

How much backup are you looking for in terms of bandwidth? If 128K ISDN is
too little would 256K be sufficient or do you need 2Mb or so?

Is WiMAX even available in your area?

PRI is still available. Whether it's a good option will depend upon your
budget and other needs and it will not protect you much against cables
being dug through.

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98