[Gllug] Pricing Admin Work

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Tue Oct 17 23:46:52 UTC 2006

"Adam Kelly" writes:

>I've been asked to set a linux virtual machine, and set up a
>collection of software on it.  Apache, an SQL database, a particular
>CMS package, mail server, mailing lists, backups and security stuff.
>Technically, all of this should be pretty straight forward, but as
>I've never undertaken a project like this I've no real idea what a
>reasonable amount to charge would be.

As a basic rule of thumb, charge whatever you think you can get away
with :-) That'll depend on the size (and technical ability) of the
client, the amount of experience you have of the required skills, etc.

As a rough ballpark guide, the last time I was contracting you could
take the annual salary you'd expect to get in that position, and divide
by 1000 to get an approximate hourly contract rate for similar work.
Don't know if that still holds true today, but it's a starting point
at least.

Tet