[Gllug] Google Notebook installs Firefox extension

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Tue Oct 3 09:01:50 UTC 2006

Richard Jones wrote:
> Someone sent me a link to Google Notebook[1] which, it turned out,
> managed to install a Firefox extension without me apparently being
> aware of it.  (Which also broke my Firefox install, but that's another
> matter).
>
> This is really really dangerous.  First of all, I removed FF and
> reinstalled it.  Is that enough?

Uninstalling firefox itself should not remove your local settings
including extension files. That said the extension files may be in place
but a new installation should not have them registered so you should be
okay.

> Can FF extensions affect data beyond just the FF install itself?

This would depend on the extension I think.

> Secondly, how the heck did it manage to
> install the extension without me seeing the usual warning/dialog?

I just tried and after signing in I was given the download link - which
mentioned Firefox as a requirement and at the top of the page says...

"Downloading this extension gives you access to the mini Google Notebook
feature, which allows you to:"

Clicking the download link then gave me the Firefox warning bar saying
that I had not yet permitted www.google.com to install an extension. I
went no further as I don't want to install the extension.

Sorry for asking the obvious but is it possible that you have previously
allowed Google to install extensions on your copy of Firefox?

HTH
Ryan
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk