[Gllug] Anyone used Amazon EC2 Elastic Compute Cloud (grid computing type thingy)?

Doug Winter doug at isotoma.com
Thu Oct 26 15:49:07 UTC 2006

Richard Jones wrote:
> Are the machines all 64-bit?  This is a cast-iron requirement for us.

I believe they are all Opterons.

> Can we use MPI to run jobs across multiple machines?  (Or else how do
> the "instances" interact with each other?)

Once the instances are running they work just like a normal machine
pretty much, so anything network-based should work fine.

> How is the S3 storage system accessed? eg. NFS? scp?

WebDAV, but you can use fuse to map drives alledgedly.

> Is it possible to get machines with larger amounts of memory?
> Unfortunately there is one step in our analysis which requires more
> than 1.75GB of RAM ...

Not yet.

> And finally, when is it coming out of "limited beta"!??

No idea ;)

Cheers,

Doug.

--
doug at isotoma.com   / Isotoma, Open Source Software Consulting
Tel: 01904 567 349 / Mobile: 07879 423002 / Fax: 020 79006980
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at mailman.ukfsn.org