[Gllug] Is there any demand for rsync based offsite backup?

paul at ma1.se paul at ma1.se
Tue Oct 31 19:09:00 UTC 2006

Neil de Carteret wrote:

> On 31/10/06, Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm giving thought to launching an offsite backup service using rsync
>> from
>> the client end to a pair of servers at different datacentres.
>>
>> Is this something people might be interested in and, if so, would you be
>> willing to pay a couple of quid a month for a few hundred MB of storage?
>

> Yes. I'm desperate for something like that.  I'd been thinking about
> getting a Dreamhost account or similar just to hold copies of
> important, but personal, data.

I'd read your hosting co's T&C's before doing that unless its
specifically sold as a "backup or storage service" which Jason is doing  :-)

While web hosts have massively increased quota's recently, some get a
bit picky if a standard web hosting package is used for backup.

Regards

Paul Lee
www.ma1.se