[Gllug] Open Source lobbying meeting - UKUUG London Thurs 19th

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Sun Oct 15 09:43:57 UTC 2006

Richard Turner wrote:

> FOSS becoming mainstream isn't something that will suddenly happen -
> there won't be some Earth-shaking event that catapults FOSS into the
> "mainstream"; however, if more and more non-technie folk use Linux,
> because it's free and safer than Windows on a PC with broadband,
> eventually people will start to want to use the same software at work as
> at home. Many IT managers, at least in smaller companies, might well
> welcome that!

In last years' Top 500, 374 of the systems were running Linux.
FOSS, or more specifically the Linux OS, is already mainstream.
I think I have argued this one already on GLLUG.
Linux is used everywhere from City banks (Morgan Stanley are well known
as big Linux users), the LCH computing infrastructure, the Space Shuttle
to the embedded PVR in your living room.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk