[Gllug] Open Source lobbying meeting - UKUUG London Thurs 19th

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sun Oct 15 12:18:13 UTC 2006

On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 11:29:58AM +0100, John Hearns wrote:

> And as I've said before on GLLUG - where is the killer app for desktop
> Linux then?

The big problem with that is: if some killer app appears on Linux, it will be
ported to MS Windows in no time. A Linux killer app comes with source code which
makes that rather easy, the reverse direction has the reverse problem.

> As Chris says, it might be the upgrade cycle for Vista, rather than a
> killer app.

When MS Windows XP came out I remember the same things being said, it didn't happen.
The FL?OSS desktops are much more capable than they were 5 years ago; I just hope
that Chris' suggestion is true.

<blatant advert>
This is why you should turn up at the Tudor Room, The Imperial Hotel, Russell Square, London WC1B 5BB
on Thursday from - 18:30 - 20:30.

Be prepared not just to talk but to also act.

The more people that we can get who will put some time into this, the more of a chance that we will
have of making a change.

I cannot guarantee that we will make a difference; but if we do nothing then nothing will change.

</blatant advert>

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.