[Gllug] System going into suspend mode

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 08:21:47 UTC 2006

I'm running Ubuntu 6.06LTS

Regually the machine goes into suspend, stops talking to the network
and will not do anything  until somone presses a key. (which you can't
really do if your not next to machine) This can be created by hitting
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, which would normally restart X but seams to do
somthing else on Ubuntu.....

I've done tones of web searches and found quite a lot of questions
unfortanlly everyone is getting blanked, so its a lot of questions
with no answers.

On the other hand my home machine is even worse (and I'm pritty sure
its connected) when HAL starts up it freezes a couple of seconds
later, no log no nothing, I'm pritty sure there is no log because its
frozen IO (so can't write to screen, disk or anything) this is does
not look like a  kernal panic however....

Any ideas or further questions on either of these problems

I'm think of moving from Debian Sarge to Ubuntu (its generally more up
to date :) but this is turning into a major stubling block, While this
may be fine on a Laptop its stupid on a desktop so the least that
should exsist is an off switch.

Anyway its pritty pointless because leaving you machine in suspend
wastes power, it would be better switched off entierly.

This is getting on my nearves and thing we might all have to return to
TX cases which at least had proper off buttons if somone can't sort
this out soon.

Peter
(Not Happy).
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk