[Gllug] Google Notebook installs Firefox extension

john levin john at technolalia.org
Tue Oct 3 09:19:08 UTC 2006

Richard Jones wrote:
> Someone sent me a link to Google Notebook[1] which, it turned out,
> managed to install a Firefox extension without me apparently being
> aware of it.  (Which also broke my Firefox install, but that's another
> matter).

Just tried it - got the usual Firefox warning dialogue.

> This is really really dangerous.  First of all, I removed FF and
> reinstalled it.  Is that enough?  Can FF extensions affect data beyond
> just the FF install itself?

If it was a malicious extension, then yes, it could affect other data,
probably anything in your home directory.

>  Secondly, how the heck did it manage to
> install the extension without me seeing the usual warning/dialog?

Were you paying attention? (Seriously - don't take offence)
Are you sure you went to google.com, and not a spoofed, phishing site?
Can you reproduce this behaviour?
Have your preferences changed? (See Preferences > Content > Warn me when
web sites try to install extensions or themes)
Have you got google on your 'Exceptions' list?

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk