[Gllug] Pricing Admin Work

Simon Morris simon.morris at cmtww.com
Tue Oct 17 20:33:29 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 21:20 +0100, Adam Kelly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just subscribed and now I'm asking for advise.
>
> I've been asked to set a linux virtual machine, and set up a
> collection of software on it.  Apache, an SQL database, a particular
> CMS package, mail server, mailing lists, backups and security stuff.
> Technically, all of this should be pretty straight forward, but as
> I've never undertaken a project like this I've no real idea what a
> reasonable amount to charge would be.

One good yardstick I've used when pricing work in the past is this:

If you pay an engineer to work on your car for 2 hours or a electrician
to come around and rewire your house you would be paying *at least* £30
per hour (That might be under-estimated a little)

If you rate your services to be more or less valuable than a mechanic or
sparky you should adjust the price accordingly.

Of course you should consider how much you want to do the work as well.

Thanks

~sm