[Gllug] Old small laptop firewall option? Or just send it to the recycling centre?

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Tue Oct 31 18:24:12 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 00:01 +0000, Nix wrote:
> ... as long as you don't want to run Snort on it:
>
>   RSS    VSZ
> 59316  97772

The setup is a simple adsl router (courtesy of the Phone Cooperative, I
like nice cuddly cooperatives as ideologically sound etc. if not the
cheapest around) ethernet to firewall (succession of expiring old
pentia) and then into hub and general network, wired and a wireless
bridge.

Could I, I wonder, pass the laptop onto a fileserver that was also
firewalled and would have the oomph to run snort, as this will be doing
nfs/samba and that blasted IMAP mail server I've been meaning to set up
for the home for the last 5 or 6 years and never get around to doing
(and will have to learn from scratch never having done a mail server and
with preschool kids and dodgy health and energy levels, well you can
imagine how these things sort of drift and drift and drift in a haze of
temporal flow of domesticity as housedad...).

Sort of have the network passed through this server as well as the
adsl-firewallbox- link into it? I've lots and lots of pci netcards.