[Gllug] Linux distro for small memory system

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Tue Oct 31 20:30:53 UTC 2006

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 07:33:01PM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 01:57:36PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> [...] and
> > the funky tricks they do to switch between colour & high resolution
> > & high contrast greyscale, in hardware no less, are wild.
>
> Sounds like the 'mode' command on home micros all over again ...

Well that's before my time, so I've no idea really, but as far as
LCD's are concerned its cutting edge stuff :-)

  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/The_Children%27s_Machine

 "7.5-inch, 1200x900-pixel, TFT screen and self-refreshing display
  with higher resolution (200 DPI) than 95% of the laptops on the
  market today. Two display modes are available: a transmissive,
  full-color mode; and a reflective, high-resolution mode that is
  sunlight readable. Both of these modes consume very little power:
  the transmissive mode consumes one watt - about one seventh of
  the average LCD power consumption in a laptop; and the reflective
  mode consumes a miserly 0.2 watts.."

The inquirer tries to explain it a little better, although ignore the
bit where they say the colour pattern will make it look fuzzy at the
edges - I didn't see any colour fringing when i saw the demo units
last week displaying in color mode..

Regards,
Dan.