[Gllug] Linux distro for small memory system

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 29 22:51:16 UTC 2006

On Sun 29 Oct, Richard Jones wrote:

> Has anyone any thoughts on a suitable Linux distro for a relatively
> small memory laptop (64 MB of RAM, but nice 650 MHz processor)?
> It has to be usable by someone with little computing experience - this
> is an upgrade from Windows ME (!)
>
> I've been following a couple of "how to install Ubuntu on low memory
> systems" guides[1][2], but I'm not getting very far as they seem to be
> quite outdated.

   I have run Debian Sarge on 64MB, and the installer did not need to go
into low memory mode.
   Even the Debian Testing version, Etch, would probably cope in normal mode
with 64MB as long as you do not try to run the new GUI version of the
installer. The installer is basically the same as that in Ubuntu.

--
Chris Bell