[Gllug] Open Source lobbying meeting - UKUUG London Thurs 19th

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 14 19:47:25 UTC 2006

On Sat 14 Oct, Christopher Hunter wrote:

> many years.  Over the years, we could find NO government contracts untainted
> by some form of underhand dealing.

   It is not always the case that corruption wins contracts. A contract for
designing, building, and installing some very expensive kit where I used to
work went to an American company, and it was a near disaster.
   Representatives from the manufacturer remained on site to rebuild the kit
and replace the bits that fell off every time it was used. The reason? We
had a very good, experienced regular supplier, but nobody told that supplier
about the contract on offer, and they missed the deadline. Only one bid was
received, and we were stuck with it.

--
Chris Bell